Monday, December 19, 2011

November/December Books !!

     I was one of those nerdy kids that read her way through her childhood and adolescence. Sweet Valley High, Babysitters Club, Full House diaries and Nancy Drews!I'm not the fastest reader out there and I sometimes get frustrated when I don't finish books in a week or two, but hey that's life! Do any of you use Goodreads.com? I love it!! It's a virtual bookcase where you add all the books you've read, are currently reading, and want to read. You can also go on other people's profiles and browse, comment, etc!

     The books are in order from left to right (earliest read to latest read), with the book I'm currently reading at the bottom. I adore Vonnegut because of Slaughterhouse Five and Sirens of Titan.

If you haven't read these books, go read them NOW. I must warn you, the former is set during WWII as Vonnegut was a POW in Nazi Germany. I normally cannot stand violence and sorrow but he writes it in a way which is both easy to read and not depressing, but rather enlightening intriguing and interesting! I got A Man Without Country for my birthday last year and finally got around to reading it and I loved it! It's a short easy read with classic Vonnegut themes.
 
     Then there was Tim Gunn's A Guide To Quality, Taste and Style. My favourite TV show of all time is Project Runway and if any of you watch it then you will know what a legend Tim Gunn is! =D I adore him in the show and he is very fair, caring and knowledgable! I recommend this book if you're looking for an easy read and love fashion and style! One (very important) thing I picked up from this book was to always be mindful of your posture. Tim stresses this point very much and it totally makes sense to me. The way you hold yourself not only factors into how others perceive you but is also crucial to bone strength and alignment. Ie. if you are hunching and not sitting or walking straight on a regular basis then you will have irreversible (or VERY hard to reverse) spinal issues in future eeeeek!

     The book I most recently finished is Vonnegut's Bluebeard. Not his best, I must admit, but I got through it and think it was overall a good story. I don't really have much more to say about this one except that I'm very happy to have finished it and started rereading an old favourite, Superfreakonomics! Dunno if any of you are economics nerds (this isn't really proper economics anyway) but I absolutely adore statistics and evaluations of behaviour (cause and effect). This book, and its prequel, are so interesting to me because they deal with modern day happenings and explain them from an analytical perspective. For example, in the introduction, they go on to prove how while you should not drive drunk by law, statistically speaking you are five times more likely to die when you walk home drunk versus driving home drunk (factoring in other people involved in car crashes etc)!!! Haha lame as statistics are I love em =)

0 comments:

Post a Comment